Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Cuba - Introduction

"My Cuba: a visit to Cuba"
by
Manuel Ignacio Suarez-Gaston Carreno Segerra de la Casa de Suarez, Castile de norte Espana Padres Manuel Antonio Suarez-Carreno y Eloise Gaston de that famousa familia Melchor Gaston


The story of Manny Suarez’s revisit to Cuba after 50 years (1961-2010) with his "grande hijos que como mucho" Brandon Hagen Suarez-Wentz y Austin Lee Suarez-Wentz con Americano Amigo y "hermano" fuerte Estaban Cusinos (Steve Kitchens)

the body wants sleep , but

the mind will not let it

too many stories

too many ideas

so little time

for what purpose?

i do not know

but I must tell my story

My Cuba


INTRODUCTION
This is a story of:

1. People going back to Cuba for various reasons.
2. People asking people to take things back.
3. People like Lala who feel the passion of Mother Teresa and the need to help the people of Cuba no matter what. Mother Teresa (MT) would ask people for things and they would say "no"....she would ask a second time and they said "no" and she would pray and then ask again....finally people would....OK. We saw a statue of Mother Teresa in Cuba...she was only 4 feet tall...but she stood 6'6" or more and was a giant in the world, the greatest person my brother, the mayor of Miami ever met (and he met Popes, Presidents, Queens and me).
4. The story is about Big Fred...who everyone on the island asks about...who the Gaston Familia honored at the last reunion as having the biggest heart...
5. The story is about women in general who help the men who have the heart but do not know how to help except by talking too much and not doing enough.

The biggest question I have gotten so far except the usual political questions has been Why Cuba? And Why now?

Why Cuba?

The obvious answer is because it is my homeland...It is the country of my parents...there is always a yearning to know why? What happened? And can it happen again in the USA?...(so far the answer is yes...all empires eventually collapse). Why didn't the people see it coming? Every empire ask that question after it is all over. What is different about the USA that can help delay it as long as the Roman Empire was able to delay the eventual?

The results of the election of 2010 has some of the answers....according to the only female black supreme court justice of Florida...the election of 2000 shows our system works. Even though her side lost (although I am never sure anyone really loses), she called it the greatest day of her career. So the answer seems to be in elections and communication....and I will add education.

"If you do not study history, you will repeat the same mistake." Do our people know their history? According to Jay Leno, the answer is no. I had a very nice and smart and extremely athletic Berkeley graduate (now with a college degree) once asked me, who won WWII?? This was the lowest point of my teaching career (and I teach math). Questions like that after 16 years of education, shows the system is failing.

Why Now?
Simple answer...
My two sons are leaving me soon...and they are old enough to understand now...I am just glad they let me tag along for one last ride.
It was on my bucket list.
You can fly directly from Miami to Havana (30 min flight) thanks to Obama and people like the Hidalgos.
Tia Lala told me to go.
Out of the 14 brothers and sisters 11 have gone back (I think?)....that should keep Mati busy for a while.
Because I wanted to...If we cannot take care of our own heart....we cannot take care of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment